The University of Lorraine (UL) is one of France’s largest public multidisciplinary university, open to international collaboration; with more than 3.700 teaching and research faculty and approximately 53.000 students, including nearly 7.000 foreign students. Its location in the heart of Europe offers to the University of Lorraine a privileged position for strong international partnerships. The University of Lorraine is committed to numerous European and international collaborations and exchanges, including multi-partnership projects.
- Strong scientific expertise: the scientific activity of the UL is organized in 82 research laboratories located in 10 scientific centers and 8 research federations covering a wide range of disciplinary fields and topics. In addition, the university houses several technology platforms including large-scale facilities and large measurement instruments, providing research teams with the most efficient equipment.
- A complete range of educational opportunities: the UL is structured in 8 Collegiums, which include various schools, faculties and institutes. The educational opportunities cover initial training in all fields of the knowledge, with cross-cutting programs between institutions and between disciplines. UL is also a major player in life-long learning in France, with more than 1500 degrees granted.
- Strong regional and territorial impact: the UL plays a major role in the socio-economic development of the Lorraine region. This interface contributes to valuable and enriching exchange for all stakeholders through innovation, partnerships, knowledge sharing, research, development and technology transfer. UL, through its own service for research exploitation, aims to create value from the research and expertise of its researchers. This development may take the form of research contracts, licensing, business creation or technology transfer and commercialization of intellectual property.
Previous involvement in research and Training Programmes:
- UL has been involved in numerous European programs such as Erasmus mundus with several degrees (EMERALD,EU-Metalic, AMASE, Fusion-EP, DESEM, ELEMENT), Interreg IV A program (SOPHIA-LORRAINE, GRMN,ECOBIOGAZ TRANSCOMAS, CORENA, NANODATA, ABILITIC PERFORM, UGR), Longlife learningProgram LLP (SustEner), tempus (Modegov).
- Moreover, the UL has been involved in numerous programs like
IMPULSE (as coordinator) and many others (as participant, e.g. KMM NoE). Specifically, the UL-team was involved in a Network of Excellence for the FP6 framework with the goal of strengthning the integration of more than 30 institutes over the whole Europe.
Current involvement in research and Training Programmes:
- UL is currently involved in different European program: Erasmus + D-Transform, LLP: SEAGULL, Tempus: ARF, FP7 ITN : BIBAFOODS, BERTI, FP7 IOF : NAMICEMC, ECNET, PETRUS III, EiT, FI-WARE, PASSAM, Milk Pepper (IOF) or H2020-EIT: KIC Raw MatTERS.
- Specifically, the UL-team is involved in a Eureka Euripides Project (Board on Board project). The project has started in Nov 2011 and will end in Sept 2015. The goal is to develop a new type of PCB. M. Martiny and S. Mercier focus on the reliability of the PCB under thermal loadings.