RAFAEL (RAFAEL Advanced Defense Systems Ltd) develops and manufactures advanced defense systems for the Israeli Defense Forces and the defense establishment, as well as for foreign customers around the world. The company offers its customers a diversified array of innovative solutions at the leading edge of global technology, from underwater systems through naval, ground, and air superiority systems to space systems. RAFAEL is the largest employer in Northern Israel with approximately 7,000 employees and numerous subcontractor and service suppliers. RAFAEL is Israel’s second largest defense company, with 2013 sales of 2.047 Billion Dollars. Each year RAFAEL invests some 8% of its sales in R&D.
Key Research facilities, Infraestructure and Equipment:
- The experimental resources: includes a Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar, a gas gun and a pulsed current generator (PCG) which allows creating high and fast magnetic loadings on materials. The research group at RAFAEL has capabilities of high speed cameras and various diagnostics for high rate testing (such as velocity interferometers). Furthermore, the group has a lab wich enables metallographic analysis using optical microscopy to analyze microstructural characteristics before and after testing.
- The computational resources: include several works stations for large scale calculations and licenses of commercial computational codes like AUTODYN, LS-Dyna and MSC-DYTRAN.
Previous involvement in Research and Training Programmes:
- Dr. Lovinger and Dr. Ashuach are currently leading a research on strength measurements at high strain rates supported by the Pazi research fund.
- Dr. Lovinger is co advising two MSc Theses together with Prof. Rittel at the TECHNION.
- Dr. Rozenberg has co-advised several master and PhD degree researches. He is preparing now a course around his book Terminal Ballistics, which will start in the next semester at the TECHNION.